Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Activism Log 7

April 4 – 10

  • Activism

The show was canceled this week, because there was an SGA event being hosted in Brooklyn Pizza. It was the NCAA finals, and the noise levels would have made broadcasting impossible. I took the time available to work on my presentation on Persepolis and gender.

  • Reflection

By taking two classes about women's lives, I saw how theory and praxis intermingled. My research into gender began with Judith Lorber's essay “The Social Construction of Gender.” One of her points, that “gender creates the social differences that define 'woman' and 'man'” is how I focused by research into gender in Persepolis (65). I was able to understand how the things I learn, the things I write about, and the things I talk about on the show are interrelated.

  • Reciprocity

Although no radio show was produced this week, activism still occurred. I was able to spend those hours clarifying what I know about gender theory and adding more to my knowledge.

Lorber, Judith. "The Social Construction of Gender" Women's Lives: Multicultural Perspectives. 5th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2010. 65-7. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment